Plastic surgery has 5 sub-specialties: burns, micro-surgery, reconstructive surgery, cosmetic surgery & hand surgery. Dr. Hobbs is certified as BOTH a plastic surgeon & a hand surgeon.
As a board certified hand surgeon with over 20 years experience and having worked in over a dozen countries, Dr. Roy Hobbs has the knowledge & experience needed to address your hand problems.
IF your hands have numbness, tingling, pain, nightly discomfort, "going to sleep" while driving/on the phone, or any combination of these symptoms, you may have carpal tunnel and need to see Dr. Roy Hobbs for an evaluation.
Do you have?
If you have one or more of these signs & symptoms, you may have carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition in the hand where the median nerve in being compressed abnormally.
1. Various non-surgical treatments may give some short term relief from mild carpal tunnel. 2. But, if you have significant carpal tunnel symptoms, long term relief will require carpal tunnel surgery to release the pressure on the nerve. This will restore the blood flow to the median nerve which provides sensation to the fingers.
3. If you should need carpal tunnel surgery, a short out-patient procedure will be performed by Dr. Hobbs at on the hospitals in
1. What tests do I need to find out if I have carpal tunnel?
2. How long will it take to see results?
Most patients experience results immediately after the surgery but the final results may take up to one year to attain
3. How long do I have to be off work?
For the best results & outcome from the surgery patients are advised to be off work for 6 weeks.
4. Can you write a note for me to be off work?
Yes, we usually write a note stating the patient needs to be off work for 6 weeks & specifically if any restrictions are needed.
We could give you the actual words of many satisfied patients because we hear them frequently exclaim how the pan & numbness are gone.
Most patients experience very little to no post-operative discomfort and much relief of the preoperative signs & symptoms.
One patient wrote: "I am writing this letter of gratitude and praise for the excellent skills and knowledge that you displayed in performing surgery on my hand. The squamous cell carcinoma that was on the left hand has healed beautifully. I wasn't concerned about the healing process as much as I was about the results. The results are a perfect ten!! It has not been, but a scant eight weeks, and the scar is barely visible!! You did a wonderful job, and I couldn't be more pleased. I was most fortunate to have had a surgeon of your caliber. I want to say 'thank you', and I did not have to go to Charleston, Duke, or Mayo!! Spartanburg is very blessed and so am I."